Consider the words of Paul the Apostle in his letter to Timothy:
2 Timothy 2:4
No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
Foolish people live their lives as if there is no tomorrow. These people are continuously living in pleasure while on this earth. What do they think of the afterlife and eternity and where they will spend it? For the most part, they cannot think beyond their next adventure or pleasurable experience so where they will spend eternity really doesn't cross their minds.
Living for self and for the moment
There is nothing more futile and foolish than a person who lives for himself and for the moment. These people are walking a tight rope and at both ends of that rope is only destruction.
In my life I have known a number of people who live this way. They fly by the seat of their pants, prefer to live life on the wild side, and taking risks is second nature to them. Knowing them like I do, I often wonder what enables them to continue travelling this dead end road that only leads to more misery and ultimately their destruction. Friends, it is SELF that enables and drives them forward. They are consumed with the affairs of this life. They have been conformed into the image of this world, and not God's dear Son, Jesus Christ.
Matthew 6:21; For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
This scripture tells us much about ourselves.
- Where is your treasure? What or who means more than all else to you?
- What are the things on this earth that you just cannot seem to live without?
- Are you only concerned and taken aback by this world and the things in it or are you more interested in the things of God and the world to come -that one which is eternal and shall never pass away?
This world offers us good things, and it is not a sin to partake of them. The sin is in allowing this world and the things in it to become our God! In allowing them to become more to us than what they should be is what we all struggle with.
When we cross that line, we are committing idol worship and we find we are worshipping the creation more than we worship the creator.
If you have allowed this to happen in your life, please know that it is never too late!
- Know that the past is done, you cannot undo it.
- Now that you have understanding of the matter, stop allowing the things God has created for you to be more to you than he is!
- Put the things of this world in their proper place and keep them there